Who is charles stanley dating
Who is charles stanley dating - rules to dating your ex husband
Lee employed a man to watch all the traffic which passed and re passed on this new cut, and then sued the company for diverting the traffic from Bottomboat, the greater part of which passed his property.
Bottomboat boys looked upon the Stanley lads as outsiders, causing many fights between the two communities.
In 1821 Mr John Lee, a solicitor from Wakefield embarked on the construct of a canal cut at Bottomboat that was to be funded from his own money, with the intention of charging each vessel that used the new cut.
It would bypass some 1.7 miles of river with a 0.7 mile canal cut that was to include a harbour.
There was already a lock on the river in this area, which was built in the early 18 Century to increase the depth of the river allowing larger vessels to pass, but with this there were still many dangers.
Some of the problems this cut would eliminate were the dangerous bends in the river that would have slowed down the passage of boats and allowed silt to build up, reducing the loads which could be carried.
One thing that stands out about the area is its curious name which over time has changed to become Bottomboat.
There was a ford at this point on the Calder dating back before the Roman times, in 1202 the area was known as Stanlie Bothum, and between 12 it appears as Le Bothom in the Wakefield Court Rolls.
Some of the streets had peculiar names that matched the special humour of the residents.
The Barracks, Casey Court , Holy Row named because all its occupants went to chapel on Sundays, Good Husband Street because the men folk were a wild hard drinking crowd.
During the Second World War it is said the stacks would glow red in the night, so much so that German bombers used them to navigate their way to Lancashire.
The company formed in 1887 as a clog manufacturer for the West Riding woollen industry, over the coming years the company became well established in the area.
By 1640 it had changed to Bothom House and by 1709 took the familiar name of Bottomboat.